Butte County is Seeking a GSA Program Manager
The Butte County Department of Water and Resource Conservation (WRC) is seeking a Program Development Manager to serve as the GSA Program Manager for both the Vina Groundwater Sustainability Agency (GSA) and Wyandotte Creek GSA. This position is an excellent opportunity for a dedicated and committed individual to shape the GSAs’ and County’s creative and collaborative problem-solving approach to sustainably managing groundwater in partnership with an engaged community of industry, agricultural, environmental, and community interests.
Groundwater Sustainability Agencies
The Vina GSA was created in April 2019 through the Vina GSA Joint Powers Agreement (JPA) adopted by three member agencies: Butte County, the City of Chico, and the Durham Irrigation District. The Vina GSA is one of two GSAs in the Vina Subbasin responsible for implementing the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA) and the Vina Subbasin Groundwater Sustainability Plan (GSP), recently approved by the California Department of Water Resources (DWR). The Vina GSA is governed by a five-member Board of Directors and receives input and recommendations from a 10-member Stakeholder Advisory Committee (SHAC). To date, management and daily administrative activities of the Vina GSA have been provided through in-kind staff services from each of the member agencies. On July 26, 2023, the Vina GSA established a fee for landowners within the subbasin that would fund a GSA Program Manager.
Similarly, the Wyandotte Creek GSA was created on September 2018 through the Wyandotte Creek GSA JPA adopted by three member agencies: Butte County, the City of Oroville, and the Thermalito Water and Sewer District. The Wyandotte Creek GSA is the exclusive agency responsible for implementing SGMA and the Wyandotte Creek Subbasin GSP, recently approved by DWR. The Wyandotte Creek GSA is governed by a five-member Board of Directors and receives input and recommendations from the Wyandotte Creek Advisory Committee (WAC). To date, management and daily administrative activities of the Wyandotte Creek GSA have been provided through in-kind staff services from each of the member agencies. On July 27, 2023, the Wyandotte Creek GSA established a fee for irrigated and non-irrigated landowners within the subbasin that would fund a GSA Program Manager.
As part of establishing the long-term funding for each GSA, it was determined that a shared GSA Program Manager, housed in the Butte County WRC, would be the most cost-effective and efficient method for managing the two GSAs. The GSAs will fully fund the GSA Program Manager through a cost-share agreement with the County.
GROUNDWATER SUSTAINABILITY AGENCY PROGRAM MANAGER POSITION
The GSA Program Manager will:
- Directly oversee and manage the day-to-day operations and SGMA compliance activities of the Vina and Wyandotte Creek GSAs; develop annual work plans for the GSAs
- Be responsible for implementation of GSPs in coordination with the Plan Manager and in collaboration with member agencies, teaming partners, and stakeholders
- Provide project management
- Oversee and manage GSA Management Committees, Boards of Directors, and Advisory Committees
- Provide management of GSA contracts
- Oversee fiscal management of the GSA
- Manage inter-and intra-basin coordination
- Engage with communities and stakeholders
- Lead other GSA-related activities – including arranging and participating in public workshops; assisting with or leading the preparation of grant applications; assisting with outreach and website content; coordination of records retention and public records archives; coordinating legislative advocacy activities; and participating in training and workshops, as needed; and
- Represent the GSAs at water industry events, occasionally being called upon to present information in webinar or conference sessions.
ANNUAL SALARY RANGE: $78,478 - $105,164
Retirement Plan - 2% @55 for Classic PERS members. 2% @62 for NEW members. Vacation & Other Leave - Vacation is based on years of service starting at 15 vacation days per year. 12 paid holidays per year, 12 days sick leave per year. 7 days administrative leave for FLSA Exempt employees.
Health, Dental and Vision Insurance - The County offers comprehensive benefits to employees and their dependents with plans at no cost to the employee.
To learn more about the Butte County Department of Water & Resource Conservation, click here.
To learn more about the Wyandotte Creek GSA, click here.